Webinar Urban forests as nature-based solutions: State of the art
CLEARING HOUSE is an EU funded H2020 project providing evidence and tools to facilitate the mobilisation of the full potential of urban forest-based solutions (UF-NBS) for rehabilitating, reconnecting and restoring urban ecosystems.
It proposes a series of webinars to provide online upskilling training and development support on UF-NBS directed to professionals, practitioners and students of Urban Forestry - Nature Based Solutions.
This project addresses a global challenge that unites European and Chinese cities in their quest to develop more resilient cities and liveable societies in order to improve human wellbeing. Their main focus is on tree-based green infrastructure which is the basis for “urban forests as nature-based solutions”.
Urban Forests as nature-based solutions (UF-NBS) are a subset of nature-based solutions that build on tree-based urban ecosystems to address societal challenges, simultaneously providing ecosystem services for human well-being and biodiversity benefits. UF-NBS include peri-urban and urban forests, forested parks, small woods in urban areas, and trees in public and private spaces.
This series of webinars based on CLEARING HOUSE products and activities and will be held from now on and over the forthcoming two years in order to provide knowledge insights showcasing results from the project.
- First session. Urban forests nature-based solutions: State of the art
The main aim of this first event was to promote research findings on Urban Forest Nature Based Solutions (UFNBS) that had been undertaken during the first stage of CLEARING HOUSE.
The contents of the webinar included the EU Research and innovation agenda on Nature-based solutions, current UF-NBS practices in Europe and China and its scientific literature; contextual data about China; an analysis of governance, institutional and economic frameworks in Europe and China; the idea of Urban Forest as nature-based solutions; and an analysis of societal perceptions towards forests in Europe and China.
CRONOGRAM OF FOLLOWING WEBINARS
• Decision support for UF-NBS – introducing application & benchmarking tools (1st trimester 2022)
• Engaging less-privileged groups in UF-NBS planning and management – introducing a guideline on stakeholder mechanisms (1st trimester 2023)
• Effective UF-NBS delivery – introducing a guideline on management, policy and planning (1st trimester 2023)
• UF-NBS business models and investment cases – introducing a Sustainable Business Model Investment Approach to UF-NBS (2nd trimester 2023)
• Change management and institutional reform for UF-NBS deployment (2nd trimester 2023)
- Georg Winkel, Head of Governance Programme, EFI Bonn
- Sofie Vandewoestijne, Project Advisor, European Research Executive Agency
- Prof Wang Chen, Professor of Urban Forest, Chinese Academy of Forestry
- Sebastian Scheuer, Humboldt Universität Berlin
- Yole de Bellis, UNIBA, Italy
- Dennis Roitsch, European Forest Institute (EFI)
- Agata Konczal, European Forest Institute (EFI)
- Clive Davies, European Forest Institute (EFI)
- Prof. Dr. Dagmar Haase, Humboldt Universität Berlin