The Financial Times and IFC, the private sector arm of the World Bank, are organising a major gathering of thought leaders in London on the afternoon of June 9, ahead of the annual dinner honouring the winners of the FT/IFC Transformational Business Awards. In line with the focus of the 2016 Awards, this year’s FT/IFC Transformational Business Conference will build on the momentum generated by COP21 to discuss the challenges around climate change in developing economies, particularly in urban areas, and the ground-breaking solutions that are addressing those challenges or have the potential to do so.
This year, with the support of Cities Alliance, the Awards will count on a Special Category, open to city governments only. The Special Award for Excellence in City-led Transformation recognises those cities that, since 2010, have demonstrated tangible progress towards city-wide, integrated reforms across one or more of the following five parameters:
- Environmental – integrates planning and management of natural resources, with positive impacts on climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies; integrates disaster risk preparedness improving resilience of most affected populations;
- Social – demonstrates progress to promote an inclusive city that integrates gender equality, citizen participation with mutual rights and responsibilities;
- Governance – demonstrates progress in promoting an enabling environment for inclusive planning, responsive administration, stable municipal finance within a culture of transparency and accountability;
- Economic – facilitates enabling environment addressing both formal and informal economic activities that improve livelihoods, and promotes long-term, equitable and sustainable economic growth; and
- Services – demonstrates progress in the citywide provision of and access to basic services such as housing, food, water, sanitation, energy, health and education.
This award is open to city governments only. Private sector organisations are not eligible to participate. The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2016. For further information and instructions on how to apply, please visit live.ft.com/transformationalbusiness_awards