This year, the APFSD will address the theme “'Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” and on the cluster of SDGs to be reviewed at the HLPF - in accordance with General Assembly resolution 70/299:
● Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
● Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
● Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
● Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
● Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
● Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
The APFSD agenda will address
(1) Regional perspectives on the implementation, follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including in depth review of the theme and cluster of goals; and
(2) Strengthening implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the Asia-Pacific, including the consideration of a draft regional road map for implementing the 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific.
Other events will precede the APFSD, and will be announced separately.
We welcome applications to the Asia-Pacific People’s Forum on Sustainable Development and the APFSD from those who are based in Asia and the Pacific and from civil society organizations working on the 2030 Agenda and sustainable development processes, and especially those who are:
- Engaged in the 2030 Agenda and SDGs-related processes or working on its’ linkages to education, decent work and employment, tackling inequalities between and within countries, climate change, democracy, peace and access to justice, financing for development, trade and means of implementation
- Members of grassroots constituencies, and/or working directly with grassroots constituencies; or
- Working in ESCAP-member Asia-Pacific countries that have signed up for Voluntary National Review at the HLPF 2019 (Fiji, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Nauru, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palau, Philippines, Timor-Leste and Tonga)
Those interested in attending the APFSD should also
- Be accredited with the United Nations system (consultative or similar status with the UN including ECOSOC, CSD Roster, UNFCCC, FAO, ILO, UN Environment and UNDP or other UN-related organizations) – unless they are part of their national delegations.
- Have in-depth expertise and experience related to the theme of the APFSD 2019 and on the cluster of SDGs (one or more of the goals); and
- Be prepared to actively participate in preparing statements and other contributions to the meeting, coordinating with other CSOs and articulating joint CSO positions.
The event will serve as regional preparations for the upcoming UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) in New York, in July 2019.
In order to reach the APFSD’s objectives, we would like to invite you to participate in the Survey campaign, which will be conducted simultaneously throughout the region and coordinated by UCLG ASPAC.
The online Survey will be open until 15 February 2019.