9th Africities Summit
Africities 9 will be held from 17 to 21 May 2022, in Kisumu, Kenya. The 2009 census placed Kisumu as the third largest city of Kenya, with a population of 409,000 inhabitants. This will be the first time Africities will take place in an African intermediary city. “The Role of African Intermediary Cities in the Implementation of the United Nations' 2030 Agenda and the African Union's Agenda 2063”, the theme for Africities 9, follows on from previous Africities. It will take place in a period of disruption marked by the pandemic crisis and the climate crisis.
Five priority themes are the subject of dedicated days; the sets are developed around priority themes:
- Climate Day
- Women's Day
- Youth Day
- Migration and Diaspora Day
- Culture Day
- Urban Planning Day
The in-depth translation of the theme of Africities-9 will result in four developments:
- a specific program for the development and planning of intermediary cities
- a review of planning and development methods in Africa by taking the grassroots as a starting point and by relying on the planning of intermediary cities
- a redefinition of the African urban framework giving greater visibility to intermediary African cities
- a refocusing of African development on the territories that specifies the orientations of the African Union's Agenda 2063.