Because of its interconnected and global approach to all aspects of metropolitan life, Metropolis is a unique association for the major cities of the world.
If you represent the government of a major city or metropolitan area, you are very welcome to join our membership.
Capital cities and urban areas with a population of at least 1 million inhabitants may become members of Metropolis.
Step by step
- If you represent the official administration of a metropolis, please fill out our membership application form
- Send it to the person who is responsible for your region at the Metropolis Secretariat General.
- You will receive by e-mail the further procedures to formalize the membership of you city/metropolitan area to Metropolis.
Benefits for Metropolis members include
- Promotion of good practices and successful projects through the official Metropolis communication channels and online platforms, reaching the audience of more than 130 cities and metropolitan regions all over the world, as well as United Nations agencies, civil society organizations, foundations and private companies.
- Opportunities to join and cooperate in worldwide cross-cities and cross-sector projects.
- Prioritized registration to our triennial World Congresses, Annual Meetings, conferences and training workshops (according to specific conditions of each event)
- Mentorship in urban diplomacy and metropolitan internationalization
- Right to use the Metropolis logo in your city's international events and publications*
*Upon consultation with the Metropolis Secretariat General
If you do not represent a metropolitan government, but are still interested in collaborating with our association, please check the opportunities for Metropolis Partners.
|Category||Fee (€)||World bank national income level*||National capital||Metropolis only / joint UCLG membership|
|1A||2.220 €||Low income||capital||Joint UCLG|
|1B||1.990 €||Low income||non capital||Joint UCLG|
|1C||1.460 €||Low income||capital||Metropolis only|
|1D||1.320 €||Low income||non capital||Metropolis only|
|2A||5.260 €||Lower middle income||capital||Joint UCLG|
|2B||3.160 €||Lower middle income||non capital||Joint UCLG|
|2C||3.490 €||Lower middle income||capital||Metropolis only|
|2D||2.100 €||Lower middle income||non capital||Metropolis only|
|3A||10.510 €||Upper middle income||capital||Joint UCLG|
|3B||8.410 €||Upper middle income||non capital||Joint UCLG|
|3C||6.980 €||Upper middle income||capital||Metropolis only|
|3D||5.590 €||Upper middle income||non capital||Metropolis only|
|4A||18.920 €||High income||capital||Joint UCLG|
|4B||15.770 €||High income||non capital||Joint UCLG|
|4C||12.560 €||High income||capital||Metropolis only|
|4D||10.480 €||High income||non capital||Metropolis only|
*Source: The World Bank